Search This Blog

Friday, December 17, 2010

Album Listening Experience: The Christmas Edition



Ok everyone. I guess this is my bah humbug to the season. If we are really honest, the music of the the season is at best...mediocre. There are radio stations that dedicate their entire programming to holiday music. Amazingly enough, this can start shortly after Halloween. Seriously!!?? Now there are a couple of songs that are nice to hear and certainly reflect the season. But, do we need every country singer, pop personality, or American Idol top 10 finisher to record a CD of Christmas songs that were probably done better by someone who is in all likelihood more talented than they could ever hope to be?


As a die-hard rock and roller, I'm also ready to admit that most rock and rollers who have produced Christmas and holiday music should just stick to rebellion, cars, love, sex, and drugs as subject matter. Their efforts are generally weak.


When it comes to Christmas holiday music, it's best to stick with the traditional. There are some beautiful carols that fit the spirit of the season. These include songs like Silent Night, Joy to the World (not the Three Dog Night version) and others of that ilk. And...I never want to hear Jon BonJovi, Steven Tyler, Roger Daltry, or similar rock star (male or female) performing these songs.


I contend that sounds of the season are best when you stick with the tried and true. Dean Martin, Perry Como, and of course the immortal Bing Crosby will always fit in. White Christmas is probably the best pop holiday song of all time. Then there's either Mel Torme's or Nat King Cole's version of The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting...). Perry Como's It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like Christmas is another classic. Let's add in Rudolf the Red Nose Reindeer (Gene Autry version). I think you see where I'm going with this.


I guess I have to mention some "rock and roll" stuff here. Surely Elvis' Blue Chrismas gets high marks. Let's not forget Brenda Lee Rockin Around the Christmas Tree, Bobby Helms and Jingle Bell Rock. And finally, the great Chuck Berry and Run, Run, Rudolph. To get to a couple more relevent artists, I guess John Lennon's Merry Christmas/War Is Over or Bruce Springsteen's version of Santa Clause Is Coming to Town are ok. I don't need to ever hear Band Aid's Do They Know It's Christmas or Paul McCartney's Wonderful Christmastime ever again. Just not very good songs. That goes for Feliz Navidad and Christmas In Hollis.



I didn't want to forget to mention such drivel as The Chimpmunk Song and the loathsome Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer...or maybe if I had my way, everyone would forget them. For me, the novelty songs are the worst of all...with the exception of Cheech and Chong's Santa Clause and His Old Lady.


As I write this I'm almost talking myself out of saying anything done in the modern era or rock and pop is really any good. In reality, there is some nice Christmas music. Some of it can actually be inspiring. What kills it for me is that it starts too early then gets played ad-nauseum until it really means little or nothing by the time the day to celebrate arrives.


I guess in reflecting further, my rant is just some personal opinions that really shouldn't be taken too seriously. I know that many people out there love the season and the music they hear plays a role in their enjoyment of the season.


For the few of you that read this, may the the Christmas holidays season and the music bring joy and hope to your lives that carries past December 25, the new year, and beyond.



As a final note, my last two posts have revolved around holiday related music. After the first of the year, I hope to get back to writing about rock music and and the bands and artists that make it great.

No comments:

Post a Comment